Not only does this recipe from Taste of Home boast only 20 calories per ¼ cup, but it also gives snackers a great blast of antioxidants.
1 ½ C fresh blueberries
¾ C fresh strawberries, chopped
¾ C fresh raspberries
¼ C red onion, finely chopped
¼ C fresh cilantro, minced
1 Medium tomato, chopped and seeded
1 Small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 Jalapeño pepper, minced and seeded
2 Green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp orange juice
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp honey
¼ tsp salt
1) In a large bowl, combine all of the fruits and veggies together
2) In a smaller bowl, whisk together the ‘dressing’ ingredients
3) Drizzle the dressing over the fruits and veggies, and toss them together to fully coat
4) Chill prior to serving
TIP: This salsa isn’t only fantastic for tortilla chips, but it nicely compliments other foods like chicken dishes.
Chicken wings are a staple at almost any labor day pool party. These fruit-infused wings from Taste of Home are sure to be a backyard hit.
2 C BBQ sauce
2 Cloves garlic, divided and finely chopped
2 Fresh peaches, pitted, peeled and chopped
Salt and pepper (to taste)
24 Chicken wings (separate wings at the joint and discard the tips)
1 C peach jam
¼ C apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp hot sauce
1-2 Scallions, thinly sliced
1) Combine both the BBQ sauce and half of the chopped garlic in a food processor. Add the chopped peaches and then process the ingredients until they are finely chopped
2) Season ingredients with approximately 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper, and then set aside ½ cup.
3) Combine the chicken wings and remaining peach BBQ sauce in a re-sealable plastic bag, and then toss them together. Place them in the refrigerator for half an hour or so.
4) While the chicken is cooling, add the other half of the garlic, peach jam, vinegar, hot sauce and ½ tsp salt together in a smaller sauce pan. Cook the ingredients over medium for 5 minutes, or until it becomes slightly thickened. Let it cool.
5) Now drain and discard the marinade from the chicken. Lightly coat the grill and begin to grill the chicken wings over medium heat, covered, turning them occasionally, for 12 to 16 minutes
6) Brush the wings with the sauce. Continue to grill (or broil) uncovered for approximately 10 minutes (or until the juices run clear). Continue to baste and turn several times.
7) Once cooked, top the wings with the sliced scallions and serve alongside the ½ C of peach jam BBQ sauce for dipping